mamaM
mamaM asks:
Q:

How do you write a report?

It's been a long time since I had to write a report.  Now my second and fourth graders have to write one.  I forgot how to do it.  Can anyone help?
In Topics: Helping my child with writing

|
KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Hi Mama,
What type of "report" are you attempting to help with? A book report or a research report? Let me know WHAT TYPE of report your speaking of and then I can give you a pinpointed answer. They all atart with creating an "outline" first.

Barbara Antinoro
Educational Counselor
Kid Angel Foundation
Education.com Team

0
1
mamaM
mamaM writes:
What it is, is they have to take something that is already writen and write it in their own words.  But some of the words are hard to understand and I'm not sure how to explain them without the kids just copying what I'm saying.  It is so frustrating.

2
0
michaelbartone
michaelbart... writes:
Yeah a lot of parents go through this. The first thing I would do is ask the teacher how they expect the report to be written. You don't want your children writing reports in a way the school discourages. I always had my students come up with a topic and make a KWL chart. This chart is, "What I Know," "What I Want to Know," and "What I Learned." Just fold the paper three ways to get this chart in a easy format. when they find the answer to what they wanted to learn they place it in the last column. They will be able to flesh out their ideas of how they want to approach this subject. Then I would have them do the reading in books, magazines or the Internet. Once they have found answers to their questions they posed in the KWL chart, then you are ready to write the report.

I always told my students to break down the report so it was easer to write. They started out with an introduction. Then they picked out 3 or 4 aspects of the research they want to focus on. They then title each section, might be Early Life of Hillary Clinton or Habitat of snakes. They wrote what they learned in these sections. At the end they wrote a conclusion based on what they learned about this subject.

Lastly, i would recommend that your child read and research what is of interest to them, but they do not rewrite what is written in a book on their paper. Too many kids do this and have no idea what they wrote. Ask them while they are writing the paper if they know what they are writing. Make sure they write only what they understand. We want the kids to be masters of a topic not little robots who spew out information they don't understand. This can be hard for kids, but they will be better researchers and writers in the end. I wish y'all the best and I know everyone will learn something new!

7
0
julseylp
julseylp writes:
Just do what you are told to do.  Find instesting facts on the topic given, and you will be fine!!

2
2
Skarberg
Skarberg writes:
I been out of school for 40 years now and I forgot how to wright a book report. Please help

0
0