DaTwinsMommy
DaTwinsMommy asks:
Q:

My two year old twin girls wont listen, they know and understand lots of words but wont talk........So frustrated!

I am by myself with them for 8hrs a day while the hubby is at work, they wont listen & wont talk to me to say what they want.  They scream for everything instead of just saying it, I've had their ears tested and they are good.  I dont know what to do anymore, I feel like I've tired everything and am constantly googleing a new problem with them like every week.  PLEASE HELP

|

We're so glad you took the time to reach out for some help with your parenting question. Raising one two-year-old is difficult enough, but raising twins probably feels like you have a lot on your plate right now. Taking the time to be proactive and reach out for some help really shows what a responsible parent you are, and we're so glad to see it!

It sounds like your daughters screaming is the behavior you are trying to correct. It all starts with "teaching to the behavior." Right now, your problem is that your daughters are screaming rather than using their 'inside voices.' You can help your daughters understand how to talk at an appropriate volume by practicing this behavior with them. Right now, you might be telling your daughters, "Stop screaming" but aren't telling them exactly what they should be doing. Practice this appropriate behavior with your daughters and remember to praise their practice. When they do start screaming, remember that their yells should be met with a consequence (whether that is time-out, taking away privileges, etc.). It is important to be firm and consistent with your consequences. The girls need to know that screaming is not okay, and that it will be met with a consequence. Following through this really key.

Here is a link to help you wrap all of this together: http://www.parenting.org/article/precious-beginnings-discipline

1-800-448-3000

0
0

SilviaAGarcia
SilviaAGarcia writes:
You might want to consult with a Pr-Kinder Speech Therapist. They helped my sons who had speech problems

0
0
LenaElizabeth
LenaElizabeth writes:
I feel your pain! I found this article on "What to Do About Tantrums and Emotional Meltdowns" really helpful. I thought you might appreciate it: http://www.psychalive.org/2011/08/what-to-do-about-tantrums-and-emotional-meltdowns/

0
0
Lindasmommy
Lindasmommy writes:
This is very common among twins. My sister has twin boys who are now 7 years old. Twins normally take longer to do things than single kids. Twins develop a type of secret language that they will only speak amongst each other when they think no one is around. It's OK and completely normal. It's harder with multiples for sure. Think about it, they are in their terrible 2's. Most parents have to deal one at a time. You've got 2 going through that.

0
0