sjd3108
sjd3108 asks:
Q:

My five year old is a visual spacial learner. How do you go about testing for this, so to have it documented?

Visual spatial learning style
Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/12-wa...
Member Added on Jan 10, 2014
My mother,brother, husband and myself are all visual spacial learners
In Topics: Learning styles and differences

|

This is an excellent question for your School Psychologist and the assessment team within your school.  Be sure to make any requests for consultations in writing.

1
0

TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
There aren't any tests that can isolate a learning style in that way...really and - why do you need to try to prove his learning style? Even if you could definitively prove he is a visual spatial learner - that is not considered a learning disability and neither his school or his teacher would change the curriculum or provide accomodations for a visual spatial learner.

It's just not something that is documented. A reading disability can be documented with certain tests but the tendency to be a visual learner or an auditory learner or a visual spatial learner is not considered a learning disability. We all learn in different ways but that doesn't make it a disability as schools see it.

1
0
sjd3108
sjd3108 writes:
I know she doesn't have a learning disability. Her school wanted to and evaluation because they thought she may have trouble blending letter sounds, and thought it could be a learning disability. We denied the evaluation, because they test until they fail. We scheduled a meeting with all the teachers to talk about it and wound up with a pre school teacher and the principle. We explained cadences learning style and that she did not need special education. They said the reading teacher would incorporate more visual instruction.. And that when she is tested for a learning style and it is known they can incorporate more. They want them reading by the end of the school year. They teach phonetically. We have been working at home with different activities I have researched. I am worried, I don't want her to feel as if she is failing when she is not. They missed all the signs of her learning style, when they clearly saw it though took it as a disability. They have reading once a day, she was being taken out twice, we had no idea.

0
0