AutumzGranny
AutumzGranny asks:
Q:

My six yr old's hair was cut by another student today

My six yr old granddaughter's hair was cut by a boy in her class. He threatened her first with scissors than cut her ponytail in half. There is no incident report nor has the school returned my two calls. The teacher instructed my granddaughter to throw her hair in the trash. What is my first course of action?
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

This must of be a very frightening experience for your Granddaughter. The most important thing that you can do is to help your Granddaughter to feel safe in school.

If you feel that your school is not being cooperative, you may want to put your concerns in writing.  Specific but concise descriptions will be the  most helpful. Providing this document to the school may make them take your concerns more seriously.

If after doing this you still feel that your school is not responding to your needs then each school system has a superintendents and a board of education you may need to contact them.

If you contact your local school district and still feel that you aren't getting the help that you need then you can contact the State Department of Education.

Boys Town Nationals Hot Line
1-800-448-3000

0
0

AMDaniele
AMDaniele writes:
First, I know that is very disturbing.  In school, social issues often arise between children at very early ages.  First, did you contact the teacher directly and positively?  Sometimes, children (especially when upset) often recall only the "highlights" of conversations.  And, even more importantly, confidentiality requirements, prevent teachers from advertising their discipline efforts.  In all likelihood, the teacher dealt with this either by speaking with her superior verbally and then received instructions.  If it is a public school, the teacher may simply not had the time to return your calls yet.  Approach the teacher one day after school and engage her.  (Please avoid an accusatory tone - as a teacher I can tell you there are many demands on my time and often I have addressed issues but am not free to discuss my actions with other parents.)

2
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
Are you yoyr grandchild's guardian? if the school knows that you are, then the teacher should have responded to your phone calls or emails. a school may not repond to a grandparent unless the grandparent is also the child's legal guardian.

you should alo phone and email the school principal. The principal should respond immediately. If not, make an appointment with the principal through his secretary.

0
0