Clinical Trials: Autism Spectrum Disorders (Pervasive Developmental Disorders)
- Long-Term Drug Treatment for Autistic Children.
Interventional study. This study will determine the short- and long-term safety and effectiveness of the drug olanzapine (Zyprexa™) for reducing symptoms of autism in children. Ages 3-12. Location in Philadelphia, PA.
- Methylphenidate for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Autism in Children.
Interventional study. This study will determine the effectiveness of a range of doses of methylphenidate in improving cognitive and behavioral outcome in children with autism and ADHD and children with autism only. Ages 7-12. Location in Houston, TX.
- Effectiveness of Early Intervention With Fluoxetine in Enhancing Developmental Processes in Children With Autism (STAART Study 2).
Interventional study. This study is a pilot study to evaluate the feasibility and safety of conducting a year long, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of fluoxetine in pre-school children to enhance developmental processes in core areas impacted by autism. Ages 30 Months-58 Months. Locations in Los Angeles, CA; Chapel Hill, NC; New York, NY.
- Relationship Training for Children With Autism and Their Peers.
Interventional study. This study will determine whether peer interaction training interventions are effective in enhancing the social relationships of children with autism. Ages 6-11. Location in Los Angeles, CA.
- Early Characteristics of Autism.
Interventional study. This study will identify factors that distinguish children with autism from children with developmental delay and those with normal development and study the efficacy of intensive behavioral therapy in children with autism. Ages 18 Months-30 Months. Location in Seattle, WA.
- Diet and Behavior in Young Children With Autism.
Interventional study. This study will determine whether a gluten- and casein-free diet has specific benefits for children with autism. Ages 30 Months-54 Months. Location in Rochester, NY.
- RUPP PI PDD: Drug and Behavioral Therapy for Children With Pervasive Developmental Disorders.
Interventional study. This 24-week study will compare the safety and effectiveness of medication treatment alone (risperidone or aripiprazole) to medication treatment in combination with a parent management training program. Ages 4-13. Locations in New Haven, CT; Indianapolis, IN; Columbus, OH.
Visit the patient recruitment website for studies conducted at the Clinical Center in Bethesda, Maryland.
Reprinted with the permission of the National Institute of Mental Health. © 2008 NIMH.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Child Development Theories
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- Problems With Standardized Testing
- The Homework Debate