Critical Thinking and Problem Solving - Important Skills for the 21st Century
- Exercising sound reasoning in understanding
- Making complex choices and decisions
- Understanding the interconnections among systems
- Identifying and asking significant questions that clarify various points of view and lead to better solutions
- Framing, analyzing and synthesizing information in order to solve problems and answer questions
Additional information about these skills is listed below.
Destination ImagiNation, Inc. seeks to be the world's foremost non-profit membership organization dedicated to promoting three critical life skills among learners at all levels: Creativity, Teamwork, and Problem-Solving. These three life skills and the process in which they are implemented form the core of the organization's value system.
This site gives an overview of critical thinking as it relates to Bloom's taxonomy, and lists numerous useful online resources on the subject.
The Georgia Critical Thinking Skills Program, or Georgia's Effective Teaching Strategies (GETS) Program was designed to promote thinking and learning in the classroom. The Program centers around instructional strategies teachers use in the classroom to teach content while promoting critical, creative, and independent thinking.
Lesson plans in the UNC Chapel Hill School of Education database relating to critical thinking.
This web site published by East Tennessee State University shows teachers how to design activities and assignments that require and teach critical thinking.
How to article on incorporating these skills into classroom teaching.
Reprinted with the permission of the Partnership for 21st Century Skills. © 2004 Partnership for 21st Century Skills.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights