Fire Safety Hazard Hunt
Use this checklist to go on a fire safety hazard hunt with your child.
In the Kitchen
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from stove tops, even when the burners are off.
- Store matches and lighters safely away from children and heat sources.
- Keep electric appliances and cords away from water.
- Replace any frayed electric cords.
- Always keep handles of pots and pans turned toward the center of the stove to prevent fires and burns.
Around Your Home
- Always use a screen at the fireplace.
- Keep paper and other things that can catch fire away from the fireplace and other heat sources.
- Keep cloth and other things that can burn away from lamps and lampshades.
- Do away with overloaded electric outlets.
- Keep electric cords out of paths and out from under rugs.
- Keep space heaters well ventilated and away from things that can catch fire.
- Be sure lamps and other electric items are stable and won’t fall.
- An adult should always be in the room when a candle is burning.
- Keep areas around the furnace or hot water heater clear of things that burn.
- Store flammables, such as gas or cleaning fluids, away from paper and cloth.
- Store flammable items securely on shelves.
Reprinted with the permission of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1