State of Illinois Academic Standards
Illinois Academic Standards Overview Homepage
What are the Illinois Academic Standards?
The Illinois Learning Standards (ILS) define what all students in all Illinois public schools should know and be able to do in the seven core areas as a result of their elementary and secondary schooling.
The Illinois Learning Standards have not changed since their adoption in 1997. The Performance Descriptors and ILS-aligned Classroom Assessments were developed by Illinois teachers for Illinois teachers to enhance the ILS and to serve as resources to help teachers determine local performance expectations at each grade level.
Example Academic Standard: Early High School English Language Arts
Word Analysis and Vocabulary Skills: Expand knowledge of word origins and derivations and use idioms, analogies, metaphores and similies to extend vocabulary development.
How do I find the Illinois Academic Standards?
Standards for Illinois are for Language Arts, Fine Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Foreign Language, Physical Education and Health, and Social and Emotional Learning for all grades.
- Click the “descriptors and assessments” link under the subject you wish to view on the right side of the page.
- Click the grade you wish to view based on whether you want to see the assessments (various activities that assess a students performance) or the descriptors (clear cut standards that state what your child should be able to know or accomplish for that grade level).
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development