Media Literacy - Important 21st Century Skill
- Understanding how media messages are constructed, for what purposes and using which tools, characteristics and conventions.
- Examining how individuals interpret messages differently, how values and points of view are included or excluded and how media can influence beliefs and behaviors.
- Possessing a fundamental understanding of the ethical/legal issues surrounding the access and use of information
Excellent list of resources for teaching media literacy
Excellent list of resources for teaching and learning about media and information literacy
Online portal for media literacy education
Answers.com and Wikipedia defintions of media literacy with resource links
A pioneer in its field, the Center for Media Literacy (CML) is a nonprofit educational organization that provides leadership, public education, professional development and educational resources nationally. Dedicated to promoting and supporting media literacy.
Reprinted with the permission of the Partnership for 21st Century Skills. © 2004 Partnership for 21st Century Skills.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights