Mississippi Curriculum Test, Second Edition (MCT2)
The Mississippi Curriculum Test, Second Edition, (MCT2) is a measure of student achievement in Language Arts and Mathematics in grades 3-8 based on the 2006 Mississippi Language Arts Framework - Revised and 2007 Mississippi Mathematics Framework - Revised. In addition to being the basis for state accountability in these grades, the MCT2 is designed to meet the federal testing requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB), 2001.
The MCT2 contains test questions of varying degrees of difficulty that are aligned to the content, skills, and processes represented by Mississippi’s academic content standards as specified in the state curriculum frameworks and the academic performance level descriptors.
The MCT2 is administered annually over a three-day period. The MCT2 Language Arts is composed of two sections. The Reading section is administered on day one, and the Writing section is administered on day two. The MCT2 Mathematics is administered on day three.
Students do not receive a pass or fail score on the MCT2. Rather, students are assigned a performance level based on the students’ performance on the assessment. Performance levels are organized into four proficiency levels: Minimal, Basic, Proficient, or Advanced.
For more information on the MCT2: http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/osa/MCT2/MCT2_Index.htm
To access the MCT2 practice tests: http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/acad/osa/mct2_practice_tests.html
To access MCT2 Performance Level Descriptors: http://www.mde.k12.ms.us/ACAD/osa/pld/
To access the MCT2 Technical Manual: http://tinyurl.com/4eabezp
About the Tests
The MCT2 for Language Arts measures a student’s knowledge of grade-level curriculum. The following competencies are measured by the Mississippi Curriculum Test, Second Edition:
- Vocabulary: The student will use word recognition and vocabulary (word meaning) skills to communicate.
- Reading: The student will apply strategies and skills to comprehend, respond to, interpret, or evaluate a variety of texts of increasing length, difficulty, and complexity.
- Writing: The student will express, communicate, evaluate, or exchange ideas effectively.
- Grammar: The student will apply Standard English to communicate.
The MCT2 for Mathematics for grades 3-7 measures a student’s knowledge of and skill level in general mathematics and for grade 8 a student’s knowledge of and skill level in Pre-Algebra.
- Numbers and Operations: Analyze relationships among numbers and the four basic operations. Compute fluently and make reasonable estimates.
- Algebra: Explain, analyze, and generate patterns, relationships, and functions using algebraic symbols, demonstrate an understanding of the properties of the basic operations, and analyze change in various contexts.
- Geometry: Develop mathematical arguments about geometric relationships and describe spatial relationships using coordinate geometry.
- Measurement: Develop concepts and apply appropriate tools and techniques to determine units of measure.
- Data Analysis and Probability: Formulate questions that can be addressed with data and select and use appropriate statistical methods to analyze data. Apply basic concepts of probability.