Nevada’s system for assessing students, the Nevada Proficiency Examination Program (NPEP), consists of different tests taken by students enrolled in public and charter schools in specific grades and specific programs. NPEP includes the following assessments: High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) in Reading and Mathematics; Writing Assessments; Iowa Test of Basic Skills (ITBS); Iowa Tests of Educational Development (ITED); Criterion-Referenced Tests in Reading, Mathematics, and Science (CRT), Language Proficiency Assessment; Nevada Alternate Scales of Academic Achievement (NASAA); and National Assessment for Educational Progress (NAEP).
This comprehensive series of assessments in various test formats with varying purposes provides opportunities for districts, schools, teachers, students, and parents to assess student achievement in the areas specified by Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS). Another purpose of the NPEP is to provide accountability to the public and to the Legislature. Test scores from the CRTs, the Writing Assessments, and the HSPE are used to determine Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) for every public school and charter school as well as for the eight student populations required by the federal No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB).
- Nevada Test Reports
- Guidelines for the Nevada Proficiency Examination Program, 2004-2005 (PDF)
- Test Security Procedures for the Nevada Proficiency Examinations, 2004-2005 (PDF)
- Document of Appendices, 2004-2005 (PDF)
- The Skills and Competencies Alternate Assessment of Nevada (SCAAN) 2004-2005 (PDF)
- Limited English Proficient (LEP) Student Testing Program, 2004-2005 (PDF)
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Child Development Theories
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- Problems With Standardized Testing