State of North Dakota Academic Standards
North Dakota Academic Standards Overview Page
What are the North Dakota Academic Standards?
As a matter of both philosophy and policy, the North Dakota Department of Public Instruction believes that public education stakeholders need to agree upon “what students should know and be able to do.” State law (NDCC 15.1-04-03) places responsibility for the writing of state academic standards with the State Superintendent. State law (NDCC 15.1-04-04; 15.1-21-08) also places responsibility with the State Superintendent for the supervision of State assessments that are based on the State’s academic standards. To this end, the Department assumes the responsibility to engage the State’s stakeholders, through a clearly articulated process, in developing academic standards and aligned assessments that reflect what-is-worth-learning and, thus, what-is-worth-teaching in North Dakota classrooms.
Example Academic Standard: Grade 8 Science
Understandings About Scientific Inquiry: Explain how science advances through legitimate skepticism.
How do I Find the North Dakota Academic Standards?
Standards for North Dakota are available for the Arts, Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Health, and Physical Education for all grades.
- Click the subject you wish to view.
- Click the grade level and document format (PDF or Word) you wish to view the content standards in.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1