Overuse Shoulder Injuries
There are various structures within the shoulder joint complex that may become impinged or “pinched” due to repetitive movements using poor technique, when there is an imbalance of strength in the shoulder region, doing too much too soon or just doing too much at one time. Overuse injuries usually occur over time. If tendons become inflamed due to impingement factors, tendonitis (inflammation of the tendon) occurs. Sometimes tendons of the rotator cuff muscles of the shoulder can become impinged; other times one of the tendons of the biceps brachii (prominent muscle in the upper arm) can become irritated. If a bursa (fluid-filled sac which protects bone and tendon) becomes inflamed due to impingement, the overuse injury is termed bursitis (inflammation of the bursa).
|Indicators:||Since overuse injuries occur over time, severity of signs and
symptoms develop in a progressive nature.
- Initial symptoms of overuse shoulder injuries may include shoulder soreness when getting out of bed in the morning, or prior to practice. Usually once the shoulder is warmed up during practice, the pain goes away and performance is not affected.
- As the injury progresses, the athlete will notice pain before, during, and sometimes after practice. Although the athlete may be able to practice/play, the performance may be affected due to pain.
- Eventually, if left untreated, the athlete may not be able to move the arm during the day without pain and soreness.
It is important to make sure athletes inform coaches and athletic
trainers when the shoulder becomes sore, even if the soreness is
minimal. It is IMPORTANT to take care of this injury
early. Once tendonitis or bursitis becomes established,
it is very difficult to heal the injured area and rest is generally
the main prescription.
Reprinted with the permission of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- First Grade Sight Words List