(makes 12 pretzels)
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine water, sugar and salt then sprinkle yeast on surface of water. Let stand for 10 minutes to activate yeast.
- Stir in flour and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Place dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth. To knead dough, flatten it with your hands, fold the dough into quarters and then flatten again. Do this for about five minutes. Flour your hands and the work surface to keep the dough from sticking.
- Roll the dough into 12" lengths, about 1/2" thick. Form the dough strips into different shapes: the "usual pretzel shape," numbers, letters, etc. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush with egg or water then sprinkle lightly with salt (optional).
Bake at 425º F. for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Reprinted with the permission of King County. © 2008 King County
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights