Set Rules and Consequences To Teach Responsibility
Use the Know Kit Cards to help find ways the Friends take on responsibilities.
Know Kit Cards
Ages 3-4 (PDF)
Know Kit Cards
Ages 5-6 (PDF)
For each card selected, talk about what the Friend is doing and how it demonstrates responsibility. For example:
Mee sweeping the floor (PDF)
"How do you help around your home?"
Sandy brushing her teeth (PDF)
"How do you take care of your teeth?"
Miguel holding a $5 bill (PDF)
"How would you spend $5?"
Help children understand the rewards and consequences of responsibility. Set up a "My Responsibility" (PDF) list with your child. The list may have one item only or several items, depending on your child’s age and abilities. As you set up the chart, talk about what might happen if your child doesn’t take on the assigned responsibility. For example:
- If I don’t put away my toys, I may not be able to find all the pieces to my puzzle the next time I want to play.
- If I don’t set the table for dinner, my family cannot sit and eat together.
- If I don’t brush my teeth, I may not have a good report next time I go to the dentist.
As your child keeps the chart, the most important thing is to be consistent. Acknowledging completed tasks makes it easy for children to take on greater responsibility.
Reprinted with the permission of the Department of Health and Human Services.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- First Grade Sight Words List