Should Girls Who Aren't Sexually Active Be Vaccinated Against HPV?
I've heard about the HPV vaccine for teenage girls. But I'm not sure my 14-year-old daughter needs it since she's not sexually active. What should I do?
The HPV (human papillomavirus) vaccine actually has the best chance of protecting against infection if the series of three shots is given before a person becomes sexually active.
Some strains of HPV that are spread through sexual contact are known to cause cervical cancer, as well as cancers of the penis, anus, mouth, and throat. Recent research suggests that HPV might even be linked to cardiovascular disease in women.
HPV is extremely common, affecting more than half of sexually active people at some point in their lives, often in their teens and twenties.
While a girl may not be sexually active now, she likely will be at some point in her life. Girls may contract HPV in their teenage or young adult years, and then develop cancer years later.
It is now recommended that both girls and boys receive the HPV vaccine, which will help to protect both guys and girls from genital warts and HPV-related cancers.
Reviewed by: Elana Pearl Ben-Joseph, MD
Date reviewed: October 2012
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- First Grade Sight Words List