Sources of Award-Winning Children's Books
These sites provide an overview of award-winning children's books:
- Alex Awards
Awarded by the YALSA division of the American Library Association to the top 10 adult books enjoyed by young adults.
- Book Sense Book of the Year Award (formerly the ABBY Award)
American Booksellers Children's Book of the Year.
- Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards
Awarded since 1967 by the Boston Globe newspaper and Horn Book Magazine. Since 1976, awards are given to the outstanding children's fiction and poetry, nonfiction, and picture books.
- Caldecott Medal
Awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children's division of the American Library Association. Given to the illustrator of the most distinguished picture book for children published in the United States in the preceding year.
- Charlotte Zolotow Award
Established in 1998 and administered by the Cooperative Children's Book Center. Awarded to the author of the best picture book text published in the United States in the preceding year.
- Elizabeth Burr Award
Awarded by the Wisconsin Library Association since 1992 to an author/illustrator for distinguished achievement in children's literature.
- International Reading Association Children's Book Awards
Awarded for an author's first or second published book. Fiction and non-fiction awards are given in three categories: primary, intermediate, and young adult readers. Books from any country and in any language copyrighted during the award year are considered.
- Jefferson Cup
Awarded since 1983 by the Children's and Young Adult Round Table of the Virginia Library Association for quality writing in U.S. history, historical fiction, or biography.
- Michael Printz Award
Awarded by the YALSA division of the American Library Association for a book that exemplifies literary excellence in young adult literature.
- National Book Award for Young People's Literature
Awarded for outstanding contribution to young people's literature.
- Newbery Medal
Awarded by the American Library Association to the author of the most distinguished contribution to children's literature published during the preceding year.
- Notable Children's Books, American Library Association
Annual list from American Library Association.
Reprinted with the permission of Reading is Fundamental, Inc. ©2007 Reading Is Fundamental, Inc.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- Problems With Standardized Testing