State of Georgia Academic Standards
State of Georgia Academic Standards Overview Page
What are the Georgia Academic Standards?
Performance standards provide clear expectations for assessment, instruction, and student work. They define the level of work that demonstrates achievement of the standards, enabling a teacher to know “how good is good enough.” The performance standards isolate and identify the skills needed to use the knowledge and skills to problem-solve, reason, communicate, and make connections with other information. Performance standards also tell the teacher how to assess the extent to which the student knows the material or can manipulate and apply the information.
Example of an Academic Standard: 1st Grade Mathematics
All students will be actively engaged in developing mathematical understandings in real and relevant contexts. By the end of 1st Grade, students will be able to:
- Understand and use the concept of ones and tens in the place value number system.
How do I Find the Georgia Department of Education Academic Standards?
Use the search box to define your subject and grade level OR scroll to the bottom of the page and look under "Parent Information" for the main performance standards for Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies by grade.
Standards are available from the Georgia Department of Education for grades PreK-12 in the following subjects:
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Definitions of Social Studies
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Curriculum Definition
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Theories of Learning
- Child Development Theories