Transition Services for Children With Disabilities (page 3)

By — National Dissemination Center for Children With Disabilities
Updated on Feb 17, 2011

Organizations That Can Help

The organizations mentioned throughout this Transition Suite are the same ones that offer a wide range of other information, assistance, and services. But, to make life a little easier, here's a quick, consolidated list of places to visit, in alphabetical order, divided out by those organizations that cover the transition spectrum and those that focus in on a specific aspect of it. Our apologies to anyone we've neglected to list!

Organizations Covering the Transition Spectrum

  • Division on Career Development and Transition (DCDT).
    DCDT is a membership organization for teachers, other professionals, and families of students with disabilities who are interested in successful transition and positive post-school outcomes for students with disabilities. DCDT is a division of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC). Lots of resources online at DCDT's Web site, especially (but not exclusively) for professionals.
  • National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET).
    The National Center on Secondary Education and Transition (NCSET) coordinates national resources, offers technical assistance, and disseminates information related to secondary education and transition for youth with disabilities. They have a truly impressive collection of easy-to-read publications covering the transition spectrum.
  • National Secondary Transition Technical Assistance Center (NSTTAC).
    The recently funded NSTTAC operates to help states build capacity to support and improve transition planning, services, and outcomes for youth with disabilities. NSTTAC is also posting the research synthesis papers emerging from the What Works Transition Research Synthesis Project.
  • Transition Coalition.
    Located at the University of Kansas, Department of Special Education, the Transition Coalition focuses on professional development and transition at the national, state, and local levels.
    "Childhood meets adulthood at" This is a very interactive site for youth to use to start thinking about what they want to do with the rest of their lives, designed to help youth plan for the future. (Psst! Good for adults, too.)

Organizations Focused on a Specific Aspect of Transition

  • Adolescent Health Transition Project.
    The Adolescent Health Transition Project is designed to help smooth the transition from pediatric to adult health care for adolescents with special health care needs. This site is a resource for information, materials, and links to other people with an interest in health transition issues.
  • Cornell-ILR Program on Employment and Disability (PED).
    This center focuses on translating the statutes and regulations into effective practices and high quality transition programs that enhance the prospects that students with disabilities will find gainful and satisfying employment and become full participants in their communities.
  • DO-IT.
    DO-IT (Disabilities, Opportunities, Internetworking, and Technology) works to increase the participation of individuals with disabilities in challenging academic programs and careers. DO-IT Scholars is especially for college-capable high school students with disabilities.
  • Healthy and Ready to Work.
    Success in the classroom, within the community, and on the job requires that young people with special health care needs stay healthy. If special health care needs are involved in your transition conerns, then visit the Healthy and Ready to Work National Center, which provides information and connections to health and transition expertise nationwide.
  • HEATH Resource Center: Postsecondary education, anybody?
    HEATH is the national clearinghouse on postsecondary education for individuals with disabilities. Come here if you're looking for information about educational support services, policies, procedures, adaptations, and opportunities at American campuses, vocational-technical schools, and other postsecondary training entities for adults with disabilities.
  • Job Accommodation Network (JAN).
    JAN is a free consulting service that provides information about job accommodations, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the employability of people with disabilities. Visit JAN's Web site or give 'em a call at: 1.800.526.7234 (V/TTY).
  • National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability for Youth (NCWD/Youth).
    The National Collaborative on Workforce and Disability for Youth (NCWD/Youth) helps state and local workforce development systems to better serve youth with disabilities. Materials are available for all here, families, youth, professionals.
  • National Rehabilitation Information Center (NARIC).
    NARIC offers an online gateway to an abundance of disability- and rehabilitation-oriented information. There are more than 67,000 resources collected here, including organizations, agencies, Internet resources, reports, and research projects.
  • Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP).
    The Office of Disability Employment Policy provides national leadership by developing and influencing disability-related employment policy and practice affecting the employment of people with disabilities. ODEP offers both an authoritative voice and extensive, very practical materials in the area of youth transition. On the home page, use the drop-down menu to select the "audience" of "Youth and Family" and go browsing for relevant resources.

Transition in Your State

  • Who's your state's transition coordinator?
    Visit our State Resource Sheets and find out. He or she will be listed in the first section, "State Agencies" under the title "Coordinator for Transition Services." (And hey, while you're there, look for other valuable state contacts, such as the "State Vocational Rehabilitation Agency" and the "Office of State Career and Technical Education.")
  • NCSET's state resources.
    You can also use NCSET's database to identify transition-related resources and education-related office contact information for states and territories in the United States.
  • If you're a parent, try your state's PTI for transition connections and resources.
    Also listed on your State Resource Sheet at NICHCY is your state's PTI, the Parent Training and Information Center. Each state has at least one, and transition is typically part of their concerns. They can put you in touch with what's moving and shaking in transition in your state. The link above takes you to NICHCY's state sheets. Find yours, go to "Organizations Especially for Parents," and the first listing should be your PTI.
  • Community-based transition programs for students ages 18-21: Is there one in your state?
    Courtesy of the Transition Coalition, the 18-21 Programs: Community-Based Special Education Programs database contains descriptions of over 100 community-based transition programs throughout the United States. At the link above, look in the column entitled "Tools & Resources" and select "18-21 Programs Database."
  • High School/High Tech.
    HS/HT is a national network of state and locally operated programs designed to provide young people with all types of disabilities the opportunity to explore jobs or further education leading to careers in math, science, and technology. Go to the link above to identify the HS/HT program in your area.
  • Other state transition resources.
    Numerous state transition offices shared their transition resources with readers of the NCSET Web site. Find manuals, toolkits, curricula, Web sites, and more for everyone involved in supporting the successful transition of youth with disabilities to adult life. Materials from the following states are available: AZ, CO, CT, FL, IN, KY, MT, NE, NY, OR, RI, VA, and WI.
View Full Article
Add your own comment
DIY Worksheets
Make puzzles and printables that are educational, personal, and fun!
Matching Lists
Quickly create fun match-up worksheets using your own words.
Word Searches
Use your own word lists to create and print custom word searches.
Crossword Puzzles
Make custom crossword puzzles using your own words and clues.