State of Washington Academic Standards
Washington State Academic Standards Overview Page
What are the Washington State Academic Standards?
The Essential Academic Learning Requirements (EALRs) for all content areas were initially developed beginning with the Basic Education Act of 1993. The EALRs describe the learning standards for grades K-10 at three benchmark levels; elementary, middle, and high school. The Grade Level Expectations (GLEs) represent a new degree of specificity being developed for each content area for grades K-10.
Example Academic Standard: Kindergarten Reading
Understand and apply concepts of print: Recognize letters and spaces between words.Recognize that print represents spoken language (e.g., environmental print and own name).Identify front cover, back cover, and title of books.Use directionality when listening to or following text.
How do I Find the Washington State Academic Standards?
Washington standards are available for Reading, Science, Mathematics, Social Studies, Communication, Writing, Arts, and Health and Fitness for Grades K-10.
- Click the word or PDF link under GLEs for specific standards or under EALRs for more general ones
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Theories of Learning
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Curriculum Definition
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development