State of Washington Academic Standards
Washington State Academic Standards Overview Page
What are the Washington State Academic Standards?
The Essential Academic Learning Requirements (EALRs) for all content areas were initially developed beginning with the Basic Education Act of 1993. The EALRs describe the learning standards for grades K-10 at three benchmark levels; elementary, middle, and high school. The Grade Level Expectations (GLEs) represent a new degree of specificity being developed for each content area for grades K-10.
Example Academic Standard: Kindergarten Reading
Understand and apply concepts of print: Recognize letters and spaces between words.Recognize that print represents spoken language (e.g., environmental print and own name).Identify front cover, back cover, and title of books.Use directionality when listening to or following text.
How do I Find the Washington State Academic Standards?
Washington standards are available for Reading, Science, Mathematics, Social Studies, Communication, Writing, Arts, and Health and Fitness for Grades K-10.
- Click the word or PDF link under GLEs for specific standards or under EALRs for more general ones
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- April Fools! The 10 Best Pranks to Play on Your Kids
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Problems With Standardized Testing
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Theories of Learning
- Nature and Nurture