What Is Autism?: Facts and Stats
- 1 in 150 births(1)
- 1 to 1.5 million Americans(2)
- Fastest-growing developmental disability
- 10 - 17 % annual growth
- Growth comparison during the 1990s(3):
- U.S. population increase: 13%
- Disabilities increase: 16%
- Autism increase: 172%
- $90 billion annual cost(4)
- 90% of costs are in adult services(4)
- Cost of lifelong care can be reduced by 2/3 with early diagnosis and intervention(4)
- In 10 years, the annual cost will be $200-400 billion(5)
- Based on prevalence statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2007).
- Based on the autism prevalence rate of 2 to 6 per 1,000 (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2001) and 2000 U.S. Census figure of 280 million Americans.
- U.S. Department of Education's "Twenty-First Annual Report to Congress on the Implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act" (1999).
- Jarbrink K, Knapp M, 2001, London School of Economics study: "The economic impact on autism in Britain," 5 (1): 7-22.
- ASA calculates that the annual cost of autism will increase to $200-400 billion in 10 years. February 2003
Reprinted with the permission of the Autism Society.
Next Article: Autism’s Impact May Extend to Younger Siblings
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
Wondering what others found interesting? Check out our most popular articles.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Steps in the IEP Process
Take a look at what other users are searching for most.