Application of Math Skills and Knowledge for Praxis II ParaPro Test Prep Study Guide
The practice quiz for this study guide can be found at:
There will be about 12 questions on the ParaPro Assessment that test your ability to apply all of the math skills covered earlier in this chapter toward classroom instruction. That means that the questions will either be related to the classroom or will be connected in some way to the instruction of these skills for students.
There will be some questions on the math section of the ParaPro Assessment that apply to the classroom. Sometimes these problems will be straightforward, and have only a basic connection to a classroom. Other times these problems will be more complicated, with several steps necessary. The following two questions are examples of these types of problems.
- A fish tank in a classroom has a capacity of 32 quarts. How many gallons does the fish tank hold?
- What is the mean (average) number of pages that the teacher assigns per day during the week?
To solve this problem, you need to convert from a smaller unit, quarts, to a larger unit, gallons. That means you need to use division. There are 4 quarts in 1 gallon, so you need to divide by 4.
32 quarts ÷ 4 quarts per gallon = 8 gallons
The fish tank holds 8 gallons. The correct answer choice would be c.
For the next example, a teacher assigns a different number of pages to be read in a book each day. The table below shows the number per day.
To solve this problem, you need to find the average number in the data set for Monday through Friday. To find the mean requires you to add all of the values in the data set, then divide by the total number of values.
The mean, or average, of the set is 12. The teacher assigned an average of 12 pages per day during the week. The correct answer choice would be b.
Add your own comment
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Bullying in Schools
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working