A to Z: Cellulitis
A to Z: Cellulitis
Cellulitis (sel-yu-LY-tis) is an infection of the skin and underlying tissues.
More to Know
Cellulitis happens when bacteria enter the body through an area of broken skin, like a cut, scratch, or bite. It often affects the face and lower leg, but can develop on any area of the body.
Cellulitis begins as a small red area of inflamed skin that is painful and warm to the touch. As the infection spreads, the red area grows and often fever, chills, and muscle aches develop.
It's important to see a doctor as soon as cellulitis symptoms are recognized, especially in the case of bites. Cellulitis can be successfully treated with antibiotics, but if untreated could become life threatening. If the infection is spreading quickly and is accompanied by a fever, go to the emergency room immediately.
Keep in Mind
Protecting skin from cuts, bruises, and scrapes can help prevent cellulitis. When wounds do occur, wash the affected site well with soap and water, apply an antibiotic ointment, and cover the injured area with an adhesive bandage.
All A to Z dictionary entries are regularly reviewed by KidsHealth medical experts.91718
Note: All information is for educational purposes only. For specific medical advice, diagnoses, and treatment, consult your doctor.
© 1995-2009 The Nemours Foundation. All rights reserved.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- First Grade Sight Words List