Grammar Lesson: Comma Use Practice Activities
Review the following study guide for help with these activities:
Activity 1- Commas in Action
Insert commas where needed. Each sentence needs at least one comma.
- Wendall would like to go fishing but his father needs his help on the farm.
- If Julio had not corrected the error he would have earned a lower grade.
- Because Julianne studied diligently for the examination she passed with flying colors.
- The long exhausting journey finally ended.
- My dad met my mom on June 14 1975.
- Clara asked ''Are these your violin strings?''
- The family members visited New Orleans Detroit Chicago and Los Angeles.
- ''I moved from California to Utah last year'' the salesman declared.
- Dear Nicolina (as the salutation of a friendly letter)
- Smitty will you please open that door for me?
- Mr. Pryal the esteemed English teacher knows the lyrics of many old songs.
- Our friends who are good bowlers will travel to Spain this fall.
- Since you look younger than twenty-one years old I will need to see some identification.
- Within a few weeks after her interview the movie actress purchased a home in Hollywood.
- As a matter of fact this is the way home.
- Hector married Louanna on August 7 2006.
- Stunned by the powerful punch the boxer retreated to his corner.
- Needless to say the Fourth of July celebration was joyous.
- Sincerely (as the closing of a letter)
- Yes this is the man I will marry next year.
Activity 2- Some More Commas in Action
Insert commas where they are required. Each sentence needs at least one comma.
- After the initial stage of the project the manager made three changes.
- Your neighbor who has three dogs in his backyard is the local bank president.
- Yours truly (as the closing of a letter)
- Well you can probably get there by then.
- Excited by the news the cameraman sprinted to the scene.
- Dearest Dad (the salutation of a friendly letter)
- Can you read the next paragraph Rachel?
- ''This documentary is very informative'' Roger told Ray.
- To tell the truth my sister already knows about your plan.
- Because Eddie needs a ride I volunteered to take him.
- As soon as the song was played the children began to sing and dance.
- Yes you should begin the game without me.
- These dogs bark loudly and those cats love to scurry around the house.
- He lives in Richmond Virginia.
- Dan Marino who quarterbacked the Miami Dolphins for years was always a threat to pass for a touchdown.
- Joyce the Little League representative has been volunteering for many seasons.
- The skilled carpenter purchased nails hammers crowbars and putty at the local hardware store.
- Sincerely yours (as the closing of a letter)
- He was my first choice but the committee members thought differently.
- The meteorologist answered your brilliant intriguing question.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights