Continuum of Educational Environments for Students with Disabilities
From Least Restrictive to More Restrictive
Regular class includes students who receive the majority of their education program in a regular classroom and receive special education and related services outside the regular classroom for less than 21 percent of the school day.
Resource room includes students who receive special education and related services outside of the regular classroom for at least 21 percent but no more than 60 percent of the school day.
Separate class includes students who receive special education and related services outside the regular class for more than 60 percent of the school day.
Separate school includes students who receive special education and related services in a public or private separate day school for students with disabilities, at public expense, and more than 50 percent of the school day.
Residential facility includes students who receive special education in a public or private residential facility, at public expense, for more than 50 percent of the school day.
Homebound/hospital environment includes students placed in and receiving special education in a hospital or homebound program.
Source: U.S. Department of Education, 2004, Twenty-Sixth Annual Report to Congress on the Implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
© ______ 2008, Merrill, an imprint of Pearson Education Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The reproduction, duplication, or distribution of this material by any means including but not limited to email and blogs is strictly prohibited without the explicit permission of the publisher.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Bullying in Schools
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- First Grade Sight Words List