Different Types of Resource Rooms
Categorical Resource Rooms
These serve only students who have one particular disability. A resource room for students with learning disabilities could include only students identified as learning disabled; students identified as mentally retarded would go to another resource room.
Cross-Categorical Resource Rooms
This type of placement serves several students with several disabilities functioning at about the same gross achievement levels. Students who are learning disabled, educable mentally retarded, and behaviorally disordered are often placed together in this type of resource room. This is the most common type of resource room.
Noncategorical Resource Rooms
These serve as the resource room for all children with disabilities in states that do not recognize categorical distinctions.
Specific-Skills Resource Rooms
This type of resource room aims its curricular content at one basic skill area (usually reading or math).
Itinerant Resource Programs
These are programs where student visits to the re-source room are not scheduled on a daily basis. Rural areas with very small schools in difficult-to-reach locations may provide one resource teacher for several schools, which he or she visits every other day.
© ______ 2008, Merrill, an imprint of Pearson Education Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The reproduction, duplication, or distribution of this material by any means including but not limited to email and blogs is strictly prohibited without the explicit permission of the publisher.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Bullying in Schools
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- First Grade Sight Words List