Computer technology is a prime example of technology in general. Technology refers to any process or product that has been invented to assist humans in adapting to their natural, constructed, and social environments. Computers have certainly changed the way people do science, handle personal affairs, and run businesses, and they have the potential to change the way schooling takes place. Technology promises a variety of potential benefits for education (Kay, 1995):
- Through computers and related technologies, students can gain instant access to a wide array of available media. Texts, images, sounds, and movies can be readily accessed, manipulated, and placed in appropriate form to support learning.
- Educational technology provides for great interactivity. Students can mold presentations to fit their own tastes, and explore ideas from many different perspectives.
- Educational technology allows teachers and students to go beyond static presentations to dynamic simulations and models of attributes, processes, and relationships that can be used to understand and test theories.
- Pervasively networked computers provide a universal library, offering global information resources to individuals.
In science classes, the use of educational technology can demonstrate the course of technological progress, enrich instructional presentations, encourage students to become more active explorers of their environment, and significantly enhance curiosity and motivation. Using educational technology enables students to practice science and technology in ways similar to professionals in the field, leading to a deeper understanding of concepts and improved thinking and problem-solving capabilities.
© ______ 2005, Allyn & Bacon, an imprint of Pearson Education Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The reproduction, duplication, or distribution of this material by any means including but not limited to email and blogs is strictly prohibited without the explicit permission of the publisher.
Add your own comment
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner