Fine (Small) Motor Skills - Health and Physical Development: Ages 3-5
Widely Held Expectations
- Child uses finger and hand control to operate and use small objects to demonstrate fine (small) motor coordination
- Uses eye-hand coordination to perform a variety of tasks
- Develops fine (small) motor skills through participation in activities
- Uses strength and control to perform simple tasks
- Child explores drawing and painting materials
Learning in Action: Examples
- Participates in activities which require the use of small muscles (buttoning, squeezing, etc.)
- Handles small objects with growing skill (stringing small beads, fitting small objects into holes, etc.)
- Pulls caps off markers and puts them back on firmly, easily uses scissors, brushes, pencils, etc.
- Puts small building blocks together and pulls them apart with relative ease
- Opens/closes jars or lids on containers
- Provides adequate time and materials for fine (small) motor skills (drawing, handwriting development, use of computer keyboard/mouse, musical instruments, etc.)
- Plans for scheduled and spontaneous activities that support the development of fine (small) motor skills
- Provides relevant and challenging activities to help children build more advanced fine (small) motor skills
The Environment Includes
- Art materials, tools, workbench, clay, toys, puzzles, blocks, beads, etc.
- A variety of materials for writing and drawing
Add your own comment
Wondering what others found interesting? Check out our most popular articles.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- First Grade Sight Words List
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Smart Parenting During and After Divorce: Introducing Your Child to Your New Partner
Take a look at what other users are searching for most.