Tip #14 to Get a Top SAT Math Score
Most students fear functions. "I suck at functions," I hear from almost every new student. I'm not sure where this attitude comes from, but here's the good news: functions on the SAT are easy. While functions could be the topic of a full-year university course, the SAT tests only two kinds of function questions. If you feared functions, the next two skills alone will earn you 3 more questions correct and raise your score 20 to 30 points!
Functions are just a type of equation, like y = mx + b. To show that an equation is a function, sometimes people replace the y with f(x>) or g(x) or h(x). That's it. Easy. To solve functions, remember that f(x) is just a fancy way of saying y. So f(x) = 2x –1 means the same as y = 2x –1.
Let's look at this question:
Solution: This is the first type of function question. This type simply asks you to plug the 3 in for x in the equation or graph. Cake! So f(3) = 2(3) + 1 = 7.
Correct answer: 7
Note: This type of function question might also ask you to use a graph instead of an equation to determine the answer. For example: If the line shown in the graph below is y = f(x), find f(3). Based on the graph, f(3) = 7, since when x = 3, y = 7.
- If f(x) = 2x3 – 2, what is the value of f(–2) ?
- For which of the following functions is f (5) < f (–5) ?
- f(x) = 2x2
- f(x) = 2
- f(x) = 2 – x3
- f(x) = x4 + 2
- The table above shows the values of the quadratic function f for selected values of x. Which of the following defines f ?
- f(x) = x2 + 1
- f(x) = x2 + 2
- f(x) = 3x2 – 2
- f(x) = 3x2 – 1
- f(x) = 3x2 + 1
- The total weekly soap use, in pints, from washing x cars is given by the function g(x) = 5x – (4x + k), where k is a constant. If last week 140 cars were washed, using 3 pints of soap, what is the value of k?
- If m(n) = n2 + 2n and h(n) = 2n2 – n, then m(6) – h(3) =
- The graph of y = f(x) is shown above. If f(3) = m, which of the following could be the value of f(m) ?
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Bullying in Schools
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- First Grade Sight Words List