Tip #12 to Get a Top SAT Math Score
Here are the rest of the slope rules on the SAT. You should memorize these; they are on every SAT!
- Parallel lines have equal slopes.
- Perpendicular lines have negative reciprocal slopes,
- Lines reflected over the x axis or y axis have negative slopes
- Skill 30 preview: A line expressed in the form y = ax + b has a slope of a. If the line is given in standard form Ax + By = C, use algebra to convert it to y = ax + b form.
A reflection is like a mirror image. In the diagram to the right, line m is the reflection of line l over the x axis
Let's look at this question:
Solution: This question is quite difficult for most students. But with our strategies it's very easy. We know that two lines that are reflections of each other simply have the same slope but with opposite signs; so instead of –, line j has a slope of +.
Correct answer: B
- What is the slope of the line perpendicular to the line through the points (2, 3) and (–1, 0) ?
- A –1
- B 0
- C 1
- D 3
- E Undefined
- If the line through the points (2, –3) and (4, p) is parallel to the line y = –2x – 3 what is the value of p ?
- A 7
- B 3
- C 0
- D –3
- E –7
- What is the slope of the line perpendicular to the line through the point (2, –3) and the origin?
- A 0.4
- C 1
- D –2
- E 0.5
- In the xy coordinate plane, line n is the reflection of line m about the x axis. If the slope of line m is , what is the slope of line n ?
- A 1
- B –1
- D –
- If the slope of a line through the points (2, 4) and (0, b) is 1, and the line through (b, 4) and (m, 6) is parallel to that line, what is the value of m ?
- A 0
- B 2
- C 4
- D 6
- E 8
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Steps in the IEP Process