Summer Birthday Boys and Kindergarten
Got a summer birthday boy? The truth on whether waiting to start Kindergarten is best.
What You Should Know
For parents who have children, especially boys turning 5 in July, there is a common dilemma. Should we postpone kindergarten for a year?
Educators are commonly recommending that children born during the summer months wait an extra year to mature so they will not suffer from the academic disadvantages of being among the youngest kids in class.
- A large number of parents and educators believe that children born in the summer months will gain an academic advantage if kindergarten is delayed one year.
- In general, studies indicate that the youngest children in a class may score slightly below the oldest children in a class, but any differences tend to be small.
- There is no clear-cut evidence that delaying kindergarten for the youngest entrants will provide some magical academic advantage.
- It has been reported that affluent parents tend to hold out their summer-born children more often than do low socioeconomic status parents. That would mean that children who may be at academic risk from factors associated with poverty face the additional hurdle of being compared to advantaged children who are older.
How You Can Help
The bottom line is, it is a personal decision that should be considered carefully. In the real world of kindergarten, it is normal that the youngest child in the classroom seems less mature than the oldest.
Do your research. Here’s some of what children should know upon entering kindergarten. (http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_What_your_child/)
Academic achievement is only part of the school entrance age issue. The child's physical, social, and emotional development are also important. It would seem most wise to consider the whole child in all of his or her aspects when making this decision.
To help you decide, here are kindergarten readiness indicators from Education.com. http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Readiness_Indicators/
For more on this topic, see the complete article:
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- Problems With Standardized Testing