Grammar Lesson: Phrases and Clauses Review
Activity 1- Identifying Phrase and Clauses
Identify the underlined group of words by writing the code letter that is found within the box below. Write the letter on the line before the sentence. Each letter is used at least once.
- ____ Writing so many plays kept Tennessee Williams very busy for many years.
- ____ That man with the golden retriever is Hank's best friend.
- ____ Unless I have enough vacation time, I will not be able to share that summer rental with them.
- ____ This presiding officer knows how to attract good workers.
- ____ The musician signing autographs in the lobby has been there for a while.
- ____ Joe Edwards, my boss in the factory, is intelligent.
- ____ On the next day, all the penguins returned to the site.
- ____ To reach the North Pole was the explorer's goal.
- ____ Arnold told Juanita that she would probably get the promotion.
- ____ These are certainly the times that try men's souls.
- ____ Touching the finish line before the others, the talented swimmer won the race.
- ____ The doctor's advice, more rest, should be followed.
- ____ The lions roared while the cats purred.
- ____ Running in place, the soldier felt fit.
- ____ These children on the bus need to sit quietly.
Activity 2- Do you Know Your Phrases and Clauses
Fifteen groups of words are underlined in these sentences. Identify the name of each group with its name from the phrases and clauses listed below.Write the code letter on the blank next to each sentence. Each letter is used at least once.
- ____ Win's birthday is April 23rd, the same day as Shakespeare's birthday.
- ____ The mural had been painted by the school's eighth graders.
- ____ Until Lucinda's grades improve, she will not be allowed to participate in school sports.
- ____ We followed along on the trail that eventually led to the canteen.
- ____ In the interim, let us continue to work.
- ____ Philosophy is what Naomi will study in graduate school.
- ____ Will the egret return to this location?
- ____ I like to visit my former neighborhood whenever I can.
- ____ The key can be found in the upper drawer.
- ____ To collect both old and new stamps was Henry's hobby.
- ____ Derek wanted to win the World Series again.
- ____ Cleaning up the garage kept John busy last Saturday.
- ____ This situation is what the director desired.
- ____ Walking down the darkened stairway, the policewoman was very careful.
- ____ Finding so many colorful shells was stimulating for Felicia.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights