Key Features of the Reading Process
There are 5 stages in the reading process: prereading, reading, responding, exploring, and applying. The following list outlines the key features of each stage.
Stage 1: Prereading
- Activate or build background knowledge and related vocabulary.
- Set purposes.
- Introduce key vocabulary words.
- Make predictions.
- Preview the text.
Stage 2: Reading
- Read independently, with a buddy, or using shared or guided reading, or listen to the text read aloud.
- Apply reading strategies and skills.
- Examine illustrations, charts, and diagrams.
- Read the text from beginning to end.
- Read one or more sections of text to learn specific information.
- Take notes.
Stage 3: Responding
- Write in reading logs.
- Participate in grand conversations or other discussions.
Stage 4: Exploring
- Reread all or part of the text.
- Learn new vocabulary words.
- Participate in minilessons on reading strategies and skills.
- Examine the author's craft.
- Identify memorable quotes.
Stage 5: Applying
- Construct projects.
- Read related books.
- Use information in thematic units.
- Evaluate the reading experience.
© ______ 2010, Allyn & Bacon, an imprint of Pearson Education Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The reproduction, duplication, or distribution of this material by any means including but not limited to email and blogs is strictly prohibited without the explicit permission of the publisher.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- Steps in the IEP Process