Measurement for Praxis I: Pre-Professional Skills Test Study Guide
This section reviews the basics of measurement systems used in the United States (sometimes called customary measurement) and other countries, methods of performing mathematical operations with units of measurement, and the process of converting between different units.
The use of measurement enables a connection to be made between mathematics and the real world. To measure any object, assign a number and a unit of measure. For instance, when a fish is caught, it is often weighed in ounces and its length measured in inches. The following lesson will help you become more familiar with the types, conversions, and units of measurement.
Types of Measurements
The types of measurements used most frequently in the United States are listed here:
- Units of Length
- 12 inches (in.) = 1 foot (ft.)
- 3 feet = 36 inches = 1 yard (yd.)
- 5,280 feet = 1,760 yards = 1 mile (mi.)
- Units of Volume
- 8 ounces* (oz.) = 1 cup (c.)
- 2 cups = 16 ounces = 1 pint (pt.)
- 2 pints = 4 cups = 32 ounces = 1 quart (qt.)
- 4 quarts = 8 pints = 16 cups = 128 ounces = 1 gallon (gal.)
- Units of Weight
- 16 ounces* (oz.) = 1 pound (lb.)
- 2,000 pounds = 1 ton (T.)
- Units of Time
- 60 seconds (sec.) = 1 minute (min.)
- 60 minutes = 1 hour (hr.)
- 24 hours = 1 day
- 7 days = 1 week
- 52 weeks = 1 year (yr.)
- 12 months = 1 year
- 365 days = 1 year
- *Notice that ounces are used to measure the dimensions of both volume and weight.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
WORKBOOKSMay Workbooks are Here!
WE'VE GOT A GREAT ROUND-UP OF ACTIVITIES PERFECT FOR LONG WEEKENDS, STAYCATIONS, VACATIONS ... OR JUST SOME GOOD OLD-FASHIONED FUN!Get Outside! 10 Playful Activities
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Bullying in Schools
- A Teacher's Guide to Differentiating Instruction
- First Grade Sight Words List