Tip #32 to Get a Top ACT Math Score
The graph of the equation y = mx + b is a line. In the equation, m is the slope, sometimes called the rate of change, and b is the y intercept (the place where the line crosses the y axis). Usually, that is enough to get a question right.
Let's take a look at this question:
Solution: The fee for each bottle, $20, goes next to x. And $25 is a fixed fee, unrelated to how many bottles someone buys, so $25 stands alone: y = 20x + 25.
Correct answer: J.
That was so easy to explain that I have some room left. So, here's Brian's Math Magic Trick #2.
y = mx + b Drills
- If a movie trailer offends 45 people in a theater, and then the feature movie disturbs 25 more people every scene the villain appears in, which of the following equations expresses the number of people offended or disturbed after x villain scenes in the movie?
- y = 45
- y = 25x + 45
- y = 20x
- y = 70x
- y = 20x + 70
- Which of the following equations best fits the information in the table below?
- y = 5x – 2
- y = –9.5
- y = 2x – 4
- y = 0.25x + 3
- y = –9.1x
- Which of the following equations could represent the graph in the standard (x, y) coordinate plane shown below?
- y = 2
- y = 2x + 2
- y = 4x
- y = –x + 2
- y = 4x + 4
- If the cost of advertising on Facebook consists of a fixed charge plus a charge per insertion of the ad, based on the table below, what is the fixed charge?
- For the first 10 seconds after a geyser erupts, its height is given by h = 3.4s, where h is in feet and s represents seconds after erupting. When will the geyser first be over 20 feet tall?
- Between 3 and 4 seconds
- Between 4 and 5 seconds
- Between 5 and 6 seconds
- Between 6 and 7 seconds
- Between 7 and 8 seconds
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List