Organizations and Websites for Learning Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA), 4156 Library Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15234. www.ldanatl.org
This organization, formed in 1963, has around 50,000 members and concentrates mostly on parental concerns. This group has been a very effective advocacy group for children with learning disabilities (Hammill, 1993).
- Division for Learning Disabilities (DLD), 1920 Association Drive, Reston, VA 22091. www.teachingld.org
This group was formed in 1982 and has approximately 13,000 members. It is made up predominantly of educators and researchers concerned with learning disabilities (Hammill, 1993).
- Council for Learning Disabilities (CLD), P.O. Box 40303, Overland Park, KS 66204. www.cldinternational.org
This organization has about 4,000 members and attracts a large multidisciplinary membership of parents, psychologists, educators, and others (Hammill, 1993).
- International Dyslexia Association, 724 York Road, Baltimore, MD 21204. www.interdys.org
This is the oldest of the organizations that are specifically concerned with learning disabilities. Both a medical and an educational emphasis are maintained in this organization (Hammill, 1993).
- Children and Adults with Attention Deficit Disorders (CAADD), 499 NW 70th Ave., Suite 101, Plantation, FL 33317. www.chadd.org
This organization advocates for students with ADHD and coexisting disorders. Since its founding in the late 1980s, membership has grown to over 20,000 persons worldwide.
- Research Websites
LD Online: www.ldonline.org
National Center for Learning Disabilities: www.ncld.org
© ______ 2008, Merrill, an imprint of Pearson Education Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved. The reproduction, duplication, or distribution of this material by any means including but not limited to email and blogs is strictly prohibited without the explicit permission of the publisher.
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Bullying in Schools
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- First Grade Sight Words List