Additional Reading Skills and Knowledge for Praxis II ParaPro Test Prep Study Guide
Practice questions for this study guide can be found at:
Every question on the reading section of the ParaPro Assessment is multiple-choice with four answer choices. The answer choices will always be a, b, c, and d.
Most questions on the Reading Skills and Knowledge section of the ParaPro Assessment are based on a short reading passage, book excerpt, or lesson plan. Fortunately, most of the passages on the ParaPro will be relatively short—one or two paragraphs. Each passage will then include anywhere from one to four questions. There will be a few "stand-alone" questions in between passages that are not related to any particular passage.
Most problems on the reading section of the ParaPro Assessment will ask a specific question, such as the following problem:
- Which pair of words are antonyms?
- high and far
- big and large
- find and lose
- there and their
Even though this book calls them "questions," some of the problems on the ParaPro Assessment do not include a question mark. Those questions will ask you to complete a sentence, such as the following problem:
- The main idea of the passage is
- building the ancient pyramids was a very difficult job.
- Egypt is the best place to see pyramids.
- it can be very hot if you visit Egypt in the middle of the summer.
- there are pyramids in several different countries in the world.
A few questions on the reading section will ask you to find the answer choice that is NOT true. These types of questions can be very tricky! Fortunately, the makers of the test will capitalize the word that tells you that you are looking for the answer that is NOT true.
- The passage says all of the following facts about snakes EXCEPT that they
- live in almost every part of the world.
- are all poisonous.
- have two lungs.
- are a type of reptile.
For this type of question, you would need to get rid of any answer choice that presents a true fact, based on the information in the passage. The one statement that is NOT supported by the passage will be the correct choice.
Test Taking Tips for Reading Skills and Knowledge Questions
Below are a handful of specific tips for the reading section of the ParaPro Assessment.
Always Consider the Main Idea
The ParaPro Assessment will include several questions about the main idea of a passage. In fact, about half of the passages you will read in the section will include some type of main idea question. (It may use the term central idea, primary purpose, or a similar term which still means the same thing.) Therefore, always consider the main idea of a passage as you begin to read it.
As you start reading a passage on the test, look for its main idea right away. This will save you time and energy later on if you see a question about the main idea. Even if there is no question about the main idea, understanding the purpose of the passage can help you identify other important information—such as supporting details. Therefore, always consider what the main idea of a passage is while you're reading it—rather than having to go back later and figure it out.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Child Development Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- The Homework Debate
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- Problems With Standardized Testing