Tip #18 to Get a Top ACT Math Score (page 2)
Dr. Evil: Finally we come to my number two man. His name? Number Two.
Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (New Line Cinema, 1997)
If "Use the Answers" is our single most useful and important strategy, "Make It Real" is number two. You could say that if "Use the Answers" is Dr. Evil, then "Make It Real" is … well, Number Two.
Let's look at this question:
Solution: You'd have to be Einstein to get this question; it's too theoretical. So we take it out of theory and "Make It Real." We choose real numbers in place of the variables, and it becomes easier. We can choose any numbers that seem to fit the equation, and we might as well choose numbers that work evenly and avoid decimals. In this case, let's say b = 3 and e = 4. (Be careful of choosing 0, 1, or 2 for "Make It Real." These numbers behave in strange ways, as we'll see in Skill 46.) So when b = 3 and e = 4:
- c = –2b – 2(2e – b)
- c = –2(3) – 2(2(4) – 3)
- c = –6 – 2(5)
- c = –6 – 10
- c = –16
The question asks what happens when we add 2 to both b and e, so let's add 2 to both b and e and then solve the equation again. With b = 5 and e = 6:
- c = –2b – 2(2e – b)
- c = –2(5) – 2(2(6) – 5)
- c = –10 – 2(7)
- c = –10 – 14
- c = –24
Cake. C was –16 and is now –24, so it decreased by 8.
Correct answer: K
This strategy turns very difficult questions into much easier ones!
It's my single favorite ACT strategy.
- If t represents an odd integer, which of the following expressions also represents an odd integer?
- t – 3
- 2t – 1
- 2t – 2
- 3t –1
- 4t – 4
- If m < 0 and n > 0, then the product of m and n
- Is always even
- Is always odd
- Is always positive
- Is always negative
- Cannot be zero, but can be any other real number
- If b is any real number other than 3 and 7, then =
- There are k students in a class. If, among those students, q% have NOT seen the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which of the following general expressions represents the number of students who have seen the movie?
- Let x equal –3m – 2n – 4. What happens to the value of x if the value of m increases by 2 and the value of n decreases by 1 ?
- It increases by 3.
- It increases by 2.
- It is unchanged.
- It decreases by 3.
- It decreases by 4.
Washington Virtual Academies
Tuition-free online school for Washington students.
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- Social Cognitive Theory
- First Grade Sight Words List
- GED Math Practice Test 1