Chemistry and Solutions for Nursing School Entrance Exam Practice Problems
The study guide for these practice questions can be found at:
- In a dilute solution of sodium chloride in water, the sodium chloride is the
- To prepare 100 ml of 0.20 M NaCl solution from stock solution of 1.00 M NaCl, you should mix
- 20 ml of stock solution with 80 ml of water.
- 40 ml of stock solution with 60 ml of water.
- 20 ml of stock solution with 100 ml of water.
- 25 ml of stock solution with 75 ml of water.
- How many grams of NaOH would be needed to make 250 ml of 0.200 M solution? (molecular weight of NaOH = 40.0)
- 8.00 g
- 4.00 g
- 2.00 g
- 2.50 g
- The number of moles of NaCl in 250 ml of a 0.300 M solution of NaCl is
- Which of the following properties of water is not dependent on the polar nature of water?
- high boiling point
- solvent power
- high heat of vaporization
- A substance has the formula MgSO4 × 7H2O. How many grams of water are in 5.00 moles of this substance?
- How many grams of sugar are needed to make 500 ml of a 5% (weight/volume) solution of sugar?
- Which of the following types of bonds forms when a hydrogen atom binds to a highly electronegative atom and also partially binds to another atom?
- coordinate covalent bond
- hydrogen bond
- ionic bond
- covalent bond
- Which of the following is NOT true of a solution?
- Each component of a solution retains its original properties.
- A solution is a heterogeneous mixture.
- A solution is composed of a solute and solvent.
- A solution involves two or more pure substances.
- Which of the following is NOT a factor that affects solubility?
- particle size
- properties of the solvent
- b. The substance being dissolved is the solute, by definition.
- a. You need 20 ml of stock solution; you would fill the container with water to the 100 ml mark (80 ml H2O).
- c. 250 ml × = 0.05 mol; 0.05 moles × 40 g = 2.00 g
- a. 250 ml × = 0.0750 mol
- a. The other properties listed are due to the polar nature of water.
- d. There are 5 moles of MgSO4 × 7H2O. There are 7 moles of water of MgSO4 × 7H2O; 7 × 5 = 35 moles; 35 × 18 g = 630 g.
- b. Hydrogen atoms are capable of forming a partial bond between a highly electronegative atom and another atom.
- b. A solution is a homogeneous mixture.
- c. Temperature, pressure, and the properties of the solvent all affect solubility.
Mi × Vi = Mf × Vf
1.0 M × Vi = 0.2 M × 100 ml
1.0 Vi = 20
25 g = x
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Child Development Theories
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- The Homework Debate
- Social Cognitive Theory
- First Grade Sight Words List
- GED Math Practice Test 1