The Sting of Fire Ants
As summer gears up, the warmer temperatures mean your children are likely to spend more time playing outside. But for some kids, outdoor activities need to come with special precaution in regards to fire ants.
Fire ants are a specific kind of insect that can sting. Usually an insect sting means pain and discomfort lasting only a few hours. Symptoms may include redness, swelling and itching at the site of the sting.
However, if your child is allergic to insect stings, it means that his or her immune system has overreacted to the venom injected. After the first sting, your child’s body produces an allergic substance called Immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibody. If stung again by an insect of the same species, the insect venom interacts with this specific IgE antibody, which triggers the release of substances that cause allergic symptoms.
What are the symptoms of severe reactions?
For a small number of people with fire ant allergy, stings may be life-threatening. This reaction is called anaphylaxis. Symptoms may include itching and hives, swelling in the throat or tongue, difficulty breathing, dizziness, stomach cramps, nausea or diarrhea. In severe cases, a rapid fall in blood pressure may result in shock and loss of consciousness. Anaphylaxis is a medical emergency, and may be fatal. Anyone experiencing these symptoms after a fire ant sting should obtain emergency medical treatment immediately. After acute treatment you should also obtain a referral to an allergist/immunologist to learn about treatment options.
How can I identify fire ants?
“Fire antsbuild nests of dirt in the ground that may be quite tall (18 inches) in moist clay type soil,” according to Theodore Freeman, MD, FAAAAI, an allergist/immunologist who has been studying fire ants for more than 25 years.
However in dry, sandy soil the mounds may be entirely flat. Since fire ants do not remove vegetation from the area around their mounds, some may be very hard to see. They also like to build their mounds in disturbed soil, so mounds often start along sidewalks or roadways or at the edge between cultivated areas and grass.
How can I prevent my child being stung?
Dr. Freeman says “Stay away!” Fire ants, like other insects, are most likely to sting if their homes are disturbed. Unfortunately, since some mounds are flat, mounds may be stepped on accidently resulting in hundreds of ants coming to the defense of the mound. Removing mounds requires killing the queen. Commercial products are available, but take several weeks to make the mounds disappear.
If your child encounters or accidently disturbs a mound, tell him or her to move away quickly; the longer you stay near a mound the more stings you may get. Make sure your child wears closed-toe shoes and socks outdoors; avoid letting him or her go barefoot outside. When working in the garden or yard, wear work gloves. Shoes and gloves allow you the chance to get away from the mound and remove the shoes, socks and gloves with the attached stinging fire ants before they can reach your skin.
Reprinted with the permission of the American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology. © 1996-2008 American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology. All Rights Reserved.
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- Signs Your Child Might Have Asperger's Syndrome
- Coats and Car Seats: A Lethal Combination?
- Child Development Theories
- GED Math Practice Test 1
- Graduation Inspiration: Top 10 Graduation Quotes
- The Homework Debate
- First Grade Sight Words List
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Social Cognitive Theory