Yuck, Yuck: Second Grade Humor
Knock, knock. Who's there? Um, just us--with a primer on what's funny to your second grader. (Orange you glad?)
What You Need To Know
Comedy can get shortchanged in school settings, but humor actually plays an important role in your child's development. Kids with a good sense of humor have more confidence, make friends more easily, and are able to keep a positive outlook on life.
Second graders are just grasping that words often have more than one meaning--which opens up a whole world of jokes, riddles, and puns. Kids in this age group love these types of humor:
- Nonsensical situations - a snake that rides a bike, an old woman who lives in a shoe
- Cartoon violence - the villain falls off a cliff, a bunny blows up a certain grouchy cowboy
- Slapstick and practical jokes - someone gets hit in the head with a frying pan or sits on a whoopee cushion
How Can You Help
For one day, stop taking yourself so seriously and indulge your silly side! Wear a fake mustache while you make pancakes. Let the kids request odd shapes like "Texas," and do your best to try and deliver.
After breakfast, get the family together and make your own funny music videos. (Bust as many odd dance moves as you can.)
For more on this topic, see the complete article:
Add your own comment
Today on Education.com
- Kindergarten Sight Words List
- The Five Warning Signs of Asperger's Syndrome
- What Makes a School Effective?
- Child Development Theories
- Why is Play Important? Social and Emotional Development, Physical Development, Creative Development
- 10 Fun Activities for Children with Autism
- Bullying in Schools
- Test Problems: Seven Reasons Why Standardized Tests Are Not Working
- Should Your Child Be Held Back a Grade? Know Your Rights
- First Grade Sight Words List