About This School
Allen at Steinbeck K-8 School mission is to provide our diverse student population with knowledge and skills required to achieve academic excellence and the skills necessary to become productive, responsible citizens.
Values: We are:
* Enhancing student opportunities to think critically, creatively, to learn to solve problems individually and collectively.
* Stress academic excellence for all students in ELA, Math, Science, ELD and Social Science.
* Promoting the Visual, Performing and Fine Arts.
* The use of active learning will be integrated across the grade levels.
* Closing the achievement gap and accommodating individual differences by the use of standard based curriculum.
* Have ongoing assessments to identify gaps, utilization of the best instructional practices by all teachers.
* Teaching and promoting LIFESKILLS in order to obtain a positive school culture and climate.
Goals: During the academic year we will:
1. Promote an academic program with high expectations using data to drive our instructional program.
2. Promote, expand and enhance a positive school climate and culture.
3. Build an effective teaching community based on trust, credibility, confidence and mutual support.
4. Promote and expand our school –parent and community partnerships.
5. Provide professional development training for all staff members.
A school's Academic Performance Index (API) is a scale that ranges from 200 to 1000 and is calculated from the school's performance in the Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Program. The state has set 800 as the API target for all schools to meet.
Allen at Steinbeck School had an API growth score of 779 in 2012. California uses the Academic Performance Index (API) to measure annual school performance and year-to-year improvement. Allen at Steinbeck School's 2012 base score was 782 and the school did not meet its 2012 school-wide growth target.
In 2010, Allen at Steinbeck School had 23 students for every full-time equivalent teacher. The California average is 24 students per full-time equivalent teacher.