South Loop Elementary School
Chicago, IL 60605
About This School
In 2011, South Loop Elementary School had 19 students for every full-time equivalent teacher. The Illinois average is 16 students per full-time equivalent teacher.
Student Ethnicity (2011)
Students Per Teacher (2011)
Subsidized Lunch (2011)
District Spending (2010)
All Grades Composite Performance
South Loop Elementary School Reviews
As far as public school education is concerned, South Loop is a Diamond. The school is Great! Let me outline it for you:
(1) The academics are phenominal. We score in the top 10 of ALL elementary schools in Chicago including gifted and classical. Most students are top ranked in their ISAT scores weather they are in the gifted program or not meaning mean deviation is slim in that ALL students here do well.
(2) Parents are fiercely involved. Our non-profit organization Friends and Family of South Loop raised a lot of money to enhance the greatness that we already have. Along with that parent involvement comes a committment to excellence from our students that teachers love and students highly benefit from.
(3) Extracurricular programs from Taekwondo, Robot Club, Science Club, Hip Hop, Drama, Looking Glass Theatre acting classes, Technology Club, Girl Scots of America, Beta club, Snowflake Balls, Black and White Balls, Loop Around the Loop for healthy living education, Cooking Classes at Whole Foods for healthy eating education, Viollin Classes, and so much more which only enhances our students to ensure that they are well rounded leaders prepared for the world.
(4) Teachers are smart, talented and care about students in a way that makes you love them for the work that they do every day for our children. They stress academic rigor, independence and leadership without killing the little spirits of kids in their developmental stages.
(5) The school has become a bit overcrowded becasue like all good things the news spreads. People are flocking to South Loop Elementary School to get in on what was once a well kept secret. However now that the secret is out, I am so glad that my kids are a part of it.
(6) Mrs. Shelton is wonderful. Once you get to know her, she is truely a wonderful person who has the best interest of our kids at the forefront of her agenda.
(7) Field trips are awesome!
(8) We have tried private schools in the past and this school far exceeds many and is a solid contender with the best private school in the city and suburbs. Overall, South Loop is comparable with Latin and Lab for top notch education.
(9) Diversity, Diversity, Diversity!
It has been proven that Biodiversity boosts ecosystem productivity where each species, no matter how different and small, have an important role to play and contributes to the richness of life. The same can be said about diversity at South Loop. With such diversity, children learn from other races, cultures and customes. This diversity makes students stronger for the next century.
(10)South Loop is arguably one of the BEST elementary public schools in the city of Chicago!!!!!!!!!!!!
As an eight grader graduating from this school in the regional gifted program I would have to say that the teachers are great my ISAT scores went up after I arrived at South Loop Elementary school.
We are very disappointed with the South Loop Elementary School for many reasons. Our child has only been attending for a month and we are scrambeling to seek a higher education for him now due to the over crowding, lack of professionalism, lack of standard procedure, lack of positive reenforcement and cleanliness.
The superiors only seem interested in saving their face and not concerned with the actual problems at hand. The data collected on the school is inaccurate (meaning it is worse) and this is a school only heading for disaster.