Columbia, SC 29204
About This School
We help children explore and develop their individual capabilities while teaching problem solving and respect for others. Our program instills kindness and nurtures a sense of belonging and community.
Enthusiastic learning takes place when areas of study are relevant to children. Harmony School presents information in meaningful and useful ways to our students.
Our curriculum is child-centered, multi-age teaching designed to work harmoniously with each child’s natural developmental growth. Our multi-year learning program begins with early preschool exploration. With each year of additional instruction, students strengthen budding skills and develop new paths of learning. The multi-year curriculum provides the greatest benefit to families who commit to the learning environment for three years.
We frequently read to students and encourage reading in older students. The students learn to write by creating their own poems and stories.
Math and science are taught by using many different kinds of hands-on materials, which are integrated throughout our program.
Art is an everyday activity for free expression. We teach other real-life concepts through building, cooking and playing.
The kindergarten program:
* Gives children the opportunity to explore the world around them.
* Provides children with classroom materials designed to strengthen fine motor, language, pre-math, science, geography, music, art and social skills.
* Encourages independence.
* Nourishes each child’s natural curiosity and enthusiasm.
* Helps children develop respect and acceptance of self and others.
* Nurtures students’ imagination and sense of wonder that is the source of creativity and innovation.
* Develops further skills by applying what the learning environment cultivated
* Teaches writing and language skills through language experience, picture charts, storytelling, group stories, weekly readers, making books, writing poems and cooking.
* Integrates math using manipulative materials.
* Provides access to Harmony’s fun summer program complete with swimming at Trenholm Park, field trips, art projects and more.
All kindergarten activities develop organizational skills, independence, concentration and focus, and group problem-solving.
Each Friday, the kindergarten students take a field trip to enjoyable places such as the library, State Museum, Columbia Museum of Art, Riverbanks Zoo, or a community-minded trip to plant flowers at a Habitat for Humanity home, senior citizen facility or to aid a local non-profit.
At the end of the school year, kindergarten students can participate in student favorite: an overnight camping trip to the mountains or coast.
The elementary program:
* Helps nurture a love for learning that encourages the innate curiosity of children
* Emphasizes the acquisition of solid academic skills in the areas of reading, writing, mathematical processes and research
* Develops children’s unique writing styles through daily writing experiences and research projects
* Integrates units of study allowing for hands-on, experiential learning with an emphasis on expressing themselves through writing
* Provides the setting for inquiry-based learning projects, applying skills from all curricular areas
* Encourages the children to develop a respect for self and others and to enable children to find within them an acceptance needed to live in today’s world
* Exposes children to many forms of music, art, fine literature, poetry, and physical movement
* Provides a local and global awareness and an appreciation for the environment
* Encourages self-motivation, self-reliance, and the ability to complete and critically evaluate tasks and projects
* Provides access to Harmony’s fun summer program for elementary-age students which features fun activities such as swimming, hiking trips, African drumming, plus reinforces practical classroom tasks such as reading and creative writing.
The mornings are spent engaging in uninterrupted work time, following individual work plans and meeting with teachers in small groups to acquire reading, writing and mathematics skills. The curriculum utilizes a number of manipulatives, traditional texts, a classroom library, literacy circles and technology.
Afternoons are spent doing integrated project work with students conducting in-depth experiments and researching projects in science and social studies.
A wide variety of field trips, community speakers and parent volunteers support these studies. Students are encouraged to share their findings with the group to further students’ critical analytical skills and public speaking.
In 2013, Harmony School had 10 students for every full-time equivalent teacher. The South Carolina average is 16 students per full-time equivalent teacher.
Student Ethnicity (2008)
Students Per Teacher (2013)
Harmony School Reviews
Best school ever...
We have been at Harmony for over a year. It has been the best experience since my daughter has been in daycare, which started when she was 6 months. Due to our horrible experience with daycare overseas, (Germany, Landstuhl), I have grown very critical of any day care institution. I have researched any and all schools in the Columbia area, prior to moving back to the US and I have found only one that I would entrust my daughter with, Harmony. This school has made an incredible difference in my daughter's and my life. My little girl has been given so much love and attention and care in addition to having learned a plethora of new and exciting things, which she happily tells me about every day I pick her up. Harmony has put my mind at ease, after being very skeptical of any new day care situation, and I am able to be at work, with my mind at work and know I do not have to worry for one second about my child's safety, happiness, well being (emotionally and cognitively). My daughter has come a long way, and so have I (being able to trust another institution), thanks to Harmony. Words cannot express how happy we are with this little school where learning and love go hand in hand.
—Submitted by a parent
Great School with wonderful intentions!
Harmony School has been such a wonderful experience for our child! He has thrived and learned more than just academics! He has learned to love our world, love his friend and be a good steward of his self! The concepts which Harmony is based on take the best qualities and put them all in one!
Wonderful school & community
We love Harmony! New to South Carolina (hubby is active duty Air Force), I am thankful I followed the recommendation of a professor at USC and checked out Harmony. One of the strengths of Harmony is the loving, dedicated, and highly trained staff. I am confident, when dropping off my daughter, she will be safe and cared for with the highest of standards. Can't ask for more than that- a mama's peace of mind!
My son has attended Harmony School for three years and has flourished tremendously. The quality of teachers in the classroom coupled with the Montessori, Inquiry and Waldorf based learning philosophy has made our experience second to none. All Harmony children receive individualized attention and the care that is given to their emotional development is outstanding. I would highly recommend this school to any parent.
AWESOME School with wonderful teachers and staff
My husband and I are super happy with the teachers and staff at Harmony School. My 4yo son absolutely loves it! He has learned so much from his teachers, Debbie and Amy. The aftercare staff is wonderful too!
I highly recommend Harmony School!
Wonderful preschool with after school care!
This school provides self-paced instruction for ages 2 1/2 through fifth grade. Multi-age classrooms and a blend of instructional philosophies make this school unique. Located in Forest Acres, it attracts students from all over the city. A great playground, field trips each month and engaging and attentive staff made our experience top notch!