Grade Level: 6th - 12th; Type: Medicine
Study ancient remedies.
The goals of this project are:
- To determine the effectiveness of ancient remedies.
- To compare each remedy to its modern-day counterpart.
- What ancient remedies are still in use today?
- How are medical treatments tested?
Long ago, the opal was considered a predictor of illness. This may sound whimsical until we understand that the opal loses its shine as temperature increases. Thus, an opal tucked under the armpit of a healthy person will be shinier than an opal tucked under the armpit of someone running a fever. In other words, the opal was the world's first thermometer. In this project you will analyze completed scientific studies of ancient treatments and remedies, and explain how they work, or how they don't.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Read overview of relevant topics (see bibliography below)
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out images relevant to your topic.
- Take photographs throughout the course of the experiment.
- Select a number of ancient medical treatments as the subject of your study.
- Create a visual chart that categorizes ancient remedies and illustrates the effectiveness of these treatments.
- Explain your reasoning in a detailed report.
- Include photos, diagrams, models and artifacts in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Alternative Medicine; Eastern Medicine; Herbalism; Western Medicine
- http://pharmacytechniciancertification.net/10-ancient-remedies-that-are-still-around-today/ (Ancient remedies still in use)
- http://www.naturalalternative.net/natural-remedies/ancientremediesthennow.html (Overview of well-known herbal remedies)
- http://www.scidev.net/en/features/old-meets-new-in-west-africas-medicine-mix.html (Modern science meets ancient medicine)
- http://www.bma.org.uk/library_medline/electronic_resources/factsheets/LIBAlternativeMedicine.jsp (Ancient remedies in Alternative and Complementary Medicine)
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!