Auditory Versus Visual Learners and Gender Differences
Sixth, Seventh, Eighth
This experiment will test whether people are better auditory or visual learners and if there is a link between gender and either of these learning types.
Are males more likely to be auditory or visual learners? Are females more likely to be auditory or visual learners?
Some people learn best by seeing information while others learn best when they listen to someone speaking. In this experiment, you will evaluate whether people are better auditory or visual learners and assess whether there is a correlation between gender and either of these learning types.
- Test subjects
- Notebook for recording and analyzing results
- Compose two different lists of 30 different everyday objects (eg, scissors, hair brush, shampoo, etc…). One list will be read to participants and one list will be given to participants to read themselves.
- Gather approximately 60 (30 male and 30 female) test subjects that are around the same age.
- Ask 30 test subjects (15 male and 15 female) to take the auditory test first. Read one of your lists of items to the group.
- Record how long it takes you to read all 30 items to the group.
- After 10 minutes, ask test subjects to list all of the items that they can remember from the list. Participants should write their name on the test.
- Ask the other 30 test subjects (15 male and 15 female) to take the visual learning test first.
- Hand out the other list of 30 items to your test subjects. Tell the participants that they have XX amount of time to read their list (XX=the time that you recorded in step 5).
- Take the list away after XX time. After 10 minutes, ask the test subjects to write down all of the items from the list that they can remember. Participants should write their name on the test.
- The next day give the auditory test to the group that took the visual test the day before, and give the visual test to the group that took the auditory test.
- Compile your results from the auditory and visual tests. Overall, did test subjects perform better on the auditory or visual test? Evaluate which test subjects did better on the auditory test. What percentage of them were male? Evaluate which test subjects performed better on the visual test. What percentage were female?
Concepts: auditory learner, visual learner
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.