Do Birds Have a Favorite Color?
Grade Level: 3rd to 5th; Type: Zoology
In this experiment we will be determining whether birds prefer one color of seed over another.
- Can birds see color?
- Does color matter to them?
- Food dye – three different colors
- Three identical bird feeders
- An outside area where birds live
- Mix a very small amount of water with a few drops of each color of food dye.
- Color three cups of birdseed with the dye, one cup of seed per color. Take care not to get the seed too damp or it will rot. Allow the dye to dry quickly and thoroughly.
- Fill each bird feeder with the same amount of birdseed, one color in each.
- Hang the feeders outside in a place birds can easily find them.
- Check on them frequently and note the amount of seed gone from each. Do the birds seem to prefer one color of seed over the others?
Terms/Concepts: Do birds see color?
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.