5th – 7th
Difficulty of the Project
$1 - $5
Approximate Time Required to Complete the Project
10 – 20 minutes
Witness the process of how the lungs expand and contract with the help of the diaphragm. Build your own model lungs out of balloons and soda bottles.
- Balloons(Grocery/Convenience Store)
- Clear Plastic 1 Liter Soda Bottles (Grocery Store)
- Tape (Hardware/ Office Supply Store)
- Rubber Bands (Hardware/ Office Supply Store)
- Y Shaped Tube
Build your own lungs out of balloons and soda bottles. See how the pressure inside the bottle affects the shape and compression of the balloon.
- Expand and Contract
- What causes the balloons to expand?
- What causes the balloons to deflate?
- What causes air to go into your lungs?
- What causes air to go out of your lungs?
- Cut the soda bottle’s bottom end so that it has a large circle on the bottom and the spout on the top.
- Put 2 balloons on 2 of the Y shaped tube’s holes.
- Put the 3rd hole inside the bottle and out the spout of the soda bottle.
- Take another balloon and cut the top of it off.
- Put this balloon on the bottom of the bottle so that it covers the circular opening.
- Put a rubber band around this balloon.
- Your lungs should look like this:
- To work the model, pull on the bottom balloon and watch as the 2 balloons on the inside of the bottle grow bigger. As you push the bottom balloon into the bottle, watch the 2 balloons shrink.
- Write down what you think is happening and list what parts of this model represents actual parts in your lungs.