Cast Iron Pans Versus Regular Teflon Pans
Grade Level: 5th - 6th; Type: Physics
In this experiment students will find out whether cast iron or regular teflon pans heat up faster and also retain their heat longer.
- What are the advantages of cast iron pans? Teflon?
- What are some applications of both kinds of pans?
- Cast iron pan
- Regular teflon pan of the same size
- Cooking thermometer
- Pen and paper for notes
- Attach the probe of a cooking thermometer onto the surface of the pan.
- Turn on the to medium heat for both pans.
- Observe which pan is heating up faster.
- Turn off the heat and watch as the temperature drops. Which pan has a faster-dropping temperature?
- Record your results.
Terms/Concepts: Cast iron; Teflon; Temperature; Heat
Ellis, D.A.; Mabury, S.A.; Martin, J.W.; Muir, D.C.G.; Mabury, S.A.; Martin, J.W.; Muir, D.C.G. (2001). "Thermolysis of fluoropolymers as a potential source of halogenated organic acids in the environment". Nature 412 (6844): 321–324. doi:10.1038/35085548.PMID 11460160.
George Laird, Richard Gundlach and Klaus Röhrig, Abrasion-Resistant Cast Iron Handbook, ASM International (2000) ISBN 0-87433-224-9
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.