This project deals with an idea for an energy source that is derived from the motion of what people are already doing. For instance, imagine cars moving on the freeway, and that the cars are somehow mechanically or digitally connected to a sensor or a machine that performs work. Imagine kids playing on a see-saw that is mechanically attached to a device that churns butter. Design your own mechanical invention that utilizes existing motion.
How is energy converted into mechanical motion?
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Whatever supplies are needed if you decide to build your design.
- Design a contraption that does useful work using existing motion.
- If possible, build it and make it work.
- Interpret your findings in a detailed report.
- Include photos, diagrams, models and demonstrations in your science fair display.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state’s handbook of Science Safety.